Looking for the most fun Christmas or birthday (or anytime!) gift for a crazy chicken lady?
Young, old or in between - the Henbag purse is the ideal gift for all ages!
The Henbag and matching coin purse make a unique, fun, inexpensive and most importantly of all - chicken-centered - idea for a gift at any time of year!
What do you buy for the backyard chicken keeper (or the aspiring backyard chicken keeper!) who has everything?
Why, the Henbag of course!
Let's be honest - this is not a high fashion item! If you want a stylish accessory for an elegant night out, this is not it!
But if you want a fun item which will turn heads and start conversations, what could be better than a colourful rubber chicken?!
The Henbag and matching Henbag coin purse will make a slightly weird, slightly crazy, all-year-round gift for the crazy chicken lady in your life.
In this review, I look at them both in more detail.
If you purchase a product through links on this page, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. To learn more please see my disclosure policy.
Just to be clear, I don't own this bag - (yet). It's not available in Europe and the cost of shipping and customs is, sadly, too high to justify buying it.
This review is based on comments and reviews from family, friends and others who do own it.
Firstly - The Henbag itself.
Here's my bottom line summary.
The Henbag is really cute. It's a great conversation starter. It will turn heads as you make your Hen-trance (sorry!).
It's an excellent gift for any lady who loves chickens and having fun. It's inexpensive and it holds a lot more than you may think!
How well made is it?
It's yellow, it's made of rubber (yep, really!), it's chicken-shaped... what more is there to say?
- It's really well made, very strong. On average, owners find it lasts about five years and it's usually the handles that go first.
- Because it's made of rubber (except for the handles and the bottom which are nylon) it's showerproof - rain just runs off it!
- For the same reason, it cleans very easily. Spilled something on it? No problem - just wipe it clean!
- Inside is very spacious (but see comments below about the zipper).
Are there any drawbacks?
- The zip is quite short - about 6" - which can make it hard to get stuff in and out of.
- Some feedback reports a different colour to the photos - some Henbags are a bit darker, some lighter. Having slightly different colours does make it unique, of course!
- Some people report a "toxic" smell. Rubber does tend to smell. It's just the way it is.
- Because it comes folded up, it will take some time for the folds to come out. The way to help it along is to keep it filled.
- Oh and - it doesn't lay eggs. Not even rubber ones.
What people who bought the Henbag are saying.
"If you're gonna go poultry, might as well go all the way!"
"Great for some grins and giggles... This bag is a scream!"
"I always get positive comments about it. It's worth it for the attention alone!"
"Almost everywhere I go, someone comments on my "chicken". More times than not, they think she's pretty awesome!"
"The main reason to buy a handbag shaped like a chicken is because... it's a handbag shaped like a chicken!"
How many Golden Eggs does the Henbag deserve?
If you follow any of my reviews you know I award a number of Golden Eggs depending on how good I reckon the item to be.
5 is a "you need to get this product now!" while 1 is more "I wouldn't touch this is if it was the last thing on earth!".
So - how many Golden Eggs should the Henbag be awarded?
In my view - a very creditable four Golden Eggs!
Why only 4?
If you're just using it for fun, I'd score it a whole 5. But if you're expecting to be able to get things in and out easily, it has to have one egg taken away.
It's clear from people's comments that the zipper, although well made, is too short. If that's not a problem for you then definitely go for it!
The matching Henbag Coin Purse.
My bottom line summary of the Henbag coin purse.
It's the perfect companion for the Henbag - and we all know chickens like to have company!
Like the Henbag, it's cute, it's rubbery and it's a chicken! On the downside, it won't really fit adult-sized fingers to extract coins - but it would make a good key purse.
It's also a great little gift for a kiddie chicken-keeper in the making!
How well made is it?
- Again, this is a fun item rather than a functional purse.
- It's made by the same people and in the same material as the Henbag: pale yellow rubber.
- Great for kids whose small hands can more easily reach inside.
Are there any drawbacks to this fun chicken gift?
Again, the same issues: the zipper is much too small and the material tends to smell.
It's also quite expensive for such a small item.
And because it's not on show, it doesn't attract the same attention as the Henbag does.
How many Golden Eggs does the coin purse deserve?
Say what? Only 2? Really?
I'm afraid so.
Even though it would be a good novelty gift, or a nice little gift for a child, the combination of smell, the opening being too small and the coin purse not even being on show makes me think this isn't a great deal.
But if you want it for the novelty value, go ahead and buy!
Not quite found the perfect gift? Here are some pages to help!